RaidFight.eu
Sign in to follow this  
MrLyserg

Glittering medals situation

Posted (edited)

I wanted to discuss some issues with the new glittering medal system that nekys introduced about a week ago. I think it's important to do so 1 day before the NPC is added, in the extremely small chance that nekys goes back on his decision and doesn't add it. All of this is based on the online announcement that i got a glimpse of, stating that at least RECS and MATS will be on the shop. Also, this is under the assumption that the exchange rates for the glit medals will be meaningful. If it's shit, then obviously none of this really matters.

Issues listed below (some very obvious and some not so much):

- My biggest issue is that this system doesn't give you an incentive to play. It gives you an incentive to afk. And when you are being given something for doing nothing, it makes doing something feel even more pointless. L2 has always been about investing time---> getting reward, it has an addicting crafting system which is basically gambling. Crafting won't be the same if you give me the mats/recs while i'm in giran, simple as that.

- System encourages you to have 3 accounts online at all time, which is very tedious to do and if you decide not to, makes you feel guilty since you are missing out on stuff everyone else will get.

- Cities/clan halls are becoming ghost towns with so many afk players, especially in a clan it's very difficult to figure out who's actually online and who's not. 

- Glit medal currency introduced 1 week before reward announcement, allows people to exploit other's ignorance and invest in very cheap medals. I personally have close to 1000 medals (bought at 20k each) now just to prove my point. Obviously i don't know how good the exchange rate will be but this looks to be like a lose-lose situation; either reward will be very good in which case people will feel like shit for not having  3 accounts online 24/7, or reward will be shit in which case community will come back to complain about the prices of mats and how the absence of manor is fucking the server up.

- Assuming that the benefit of glittering medals to the PEOPLE is to decrease prices of mats/recs, it's incredibly difficult to strike a good balance with the exchange rates without making the server feel like complete custom. Ratio between the items on the shop has to be perfect so that the glit medals fit into the economy organically (which means that they decrease the price of every mat/rec EQUALLY)

- This does not replace manor in any way, and if it was supposed to then it should only have MATS. Again, not the same at all because manor is one of the biggest incentives to take castles.

- If you spawn the NPC without announcing the reward list first and it ends up not being balanced enough, there is no going back. People will have already spent their medals and changing the exchange list after that will cause big backlash. At the very least, announce the reward list today to test our reaction.

I can't deny how much this has improved voting, obviously it has been very effective at doing that and that will help bring a lot of new players. It's not gonna make them stay however, because very few people will roll in a x3 server and play catch up during the summer (where servers generally die off). If you want to keep the new players, change the vote reward to a fat exp boost that encourages people to PLAY THE GAME. None will be mad about an exp boost vote reward, we all have alts/subclasses to level and this will work wonders for new players. It just has to be a meaningful boost.

Sorry for long post, i really hope i'm wrong about all these things and server does fine after this shop is implemented.

Edited by MrLyserg
  • Like 3
  • Perfect 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you that this is gonna be a balancing act.

Maybe the amount of medals needed for a certain Material or Recipe could be calculated using the droprate of said item.
Imho it should always be easier/less time consuming to spoil an item then to get it through medals. The question is by how much.?
Im very curious to see what nekys has put into the list and i agree that the rewards should be posted before the implementation of the npc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Idea crossed my mind but would be too difficult to calculate given that a lot of important recs come through quests. As for your 2nd point, it should remain much easier. Take this; you need 5h to farm a rec, you need 10h to buy it with 3 accounts afk. What you do?

Edited by MrLyserg

Perfect examples and well said. 

What bothers me, there are so many things that bother me about this event and the rewards are not even announced yet. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrLyserg said:

Idea crossed my mind but would be too difficult to calculate given that a lot of important recs come through quests. As for your 2nd point, it should remain much easier. Take this; you need 5h to farm a rec, you need 10h to buy it with 3 accounts afk. What you do?

Im thinking more like a rec that takes 5h to spoil should probably take 5 days to buy with medals

Posted (edited)

Personally I don't care that much about the economic mess this new event is going to cause.

My biggest problem is seeing afk boxes everywhere, Giran is full of them, my clan hall is full of them. I can't tell who's online and who's not anymore, I mean I'm playing with a CP but I can imagine someone who doesn't it would be really hard for them to identify who's on and who's not to try and form a party.

Just put a fake counter on the website like everyone else does if you wanna increase your numbers, or do you count this shit as population?

Nekys you're becoming one of them mate.

Edited by JenKenos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Claudiu said:

Hello!

where can we find the glittering medal npc?

In the future 😛
No NPC Yet

9 hours ago, Claudiu said:

Hello!

where can we find the glittering medal npc?

Someone mentioned that nekys said it will spawn today after server rr. Not sure if true.

• Perfect 1

@nekys  if you want to turn server to a mid rate clown fiesta let us know, cause that vote medals list should NEVER be available on a low rate server especially when everything is lowered so much. Enchants?GCs?LSs? are you high mate?

• Like 2

And Glittering medals should be get if you have a Vote Rune in your inventory, to balance between people with 1 computer and people with multiples @nekys

On 5/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, MrLyserg said:

- Assuming that the benefit of glittering medals to the PEOPLE is to decrease prices of mats/recs, it's incredibly difficult to strike a good balance with the exchange rates without making the server feel like complete custom. Ratio between the items on the shop has to be perfect so that the glit medals fit into the economy organically (which means that they decrease the price of every mat/rec EQUALLY)

- If you spawn the NPC without announcing the reward list first and it ends up not being balanced enough, there is no going back. People will have already spent their medals and changing the exchange list after that will cause big backlash. At the very least, announce the reward list today to test our reaction.

For those who don't know spacer.png

Shop was added following server restart. It included things like BAOG/Enchants/LIfestones/Mats etc. To name some of the conversions, 1DMP=40 medals, 1BEWS=2k medals. And then shop was removed to be re-evaluated for 2h.

Some players have obviously already bought BEWS at this very low price.

I am quoting my original post to highlight 2 of my points and ask you this; if a braindead player like me could have predicted this, how could an admin not?

And do you really think that you can fix the prices in 2h when you couldn't do them in 1 week?

Admit mistake, remove NPC entirely and go back to being a low rate server. 

P.S And add fucking manor

• Like 2

Could you add some fingers to that NPC also?

🙂🙂 🙂  🙂 🙂 🙂  🙂🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂   🙂🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂   🙂🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂   🙂🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂  

• Haha 1

still same shit list with diff rates, <low Rate server>, well whatever then have fun with your server.

So i got like 80 glits and i get 2 dmp? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 

I know this is for the votes to get higher and i respect that but if you want to replace manor with this you must be crazy @nekys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Opiate said:

Ouch. Retail low-rate experience, huh?

Update the chronicle 😎

I agree.

Im not sure what was purpose of this event either compensate for manor or get more votes or maybe increase amount of characters logged in.
Regardless of reason I think that this event is terrible idea, especially if its gonna stay forever.
All this event does its strongly encourage people to log in multiple accounts on multiple computers even if they plan to play only one character just because of FOMO, not to play the game. People who cant or dont wanna keep they pc on 24/7 will feel like staying behind especially new joiners. PPL rather stop playing on this server than stay because of this event. 
In my opinion this event should be removed and if you wanna extra votes and keep people on the server then add +30% exp rune for 1h as vote reward for main account. This way people will vote and play at last for this one hour.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 3:51 PM, Opiate said:

Ouch. Retail low-rate experience, huh?

Update the chronicle 😎

I agree, a lot of people including myself are on pause and hoping for Gracia Final.

• Like 1

Sorry to burst your bubble but this server is never gonna update chronicle, they are now fixing java IL preparing to run them on linezeus 

10 hours ago, GreeceDebt said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but this server is never gonna update chronicle, they are now fixing java IL preparing to run them on linezeus 

Sad but true.